Monday, December 6, 2010

Baby Oliver is here!

So I'm sitting in the hospital room waiting for them to bring Oliver back to me. He's getting his vitals checked, getting some blood drawn and then getting his circumcision and going crazy so I figured I would go ahead and answer all of the questions I've been getting and post a few pictures for your entertainment.

First.. what everyone wants to know.. THE STATS!!!
He was born 12/4/2010 at 2:44am, weighed 8lb 8oz, and was 21 3/4"

Now, the whole story.. I'll try to keep it PG and not super descriptive ;)

I woke up Friday morning when my mom was getting ready to go to work and thought I had just peed on myself just a little bit but dismissed it as just discharge and went back to sleep for an hour. Then I woke up about an hour later and felt pretty good so I decided to go ahead and go to Target to get one last thing for Jeff for Christmas and breast shields for breastfeeding. While I was in the baby area I bent over to get something off the bottom shelf and I accidentally peed myself a little bit.. just a little bit like the commercials for old people! Ok, well I just finished going about my business and then it happened again a few minutes later-- so annoying but I just dealt with it and figured it was a fun part of pregnancy that nobody mentions when they say how much they loved being pregnant! So I finished getting a few things and then went and checked out and then I had to go to the restroom so I went to the bathroom and realized it wasn't pee so I figured it was just watery discharge but it was happening a lot so I decided to call the doctor anyway.

So I called the doctor, and the desk lady said that she was in labor and delivery with another OB patient but to go ahead and head on up to Rogers and they would check me and see what was going on. I called my mom to let her know what was going on and told her how I was in denial and thought it was just watery discharge but who knows! I get to the doctor at just about noon and get checked in, go get weighed, give them a urine sample and then went back in my patient room and waited forever! Turns out she was still over in the hospital with the OB patient that was in delivery.. but oh well! So then she comes to check on me about 45 minutes later- she did the chemical test on the discharge-ish stuff and turns out that my water did break but I still was only dilated to 2cm and my cervix was high. The nurse wheeled me across to the hospital and got me checked into my room. Because my water had broke he had to be born within the next 18-24 hours because of the risk of infection after that.

So my nurse came in and got my info, and got me ID'ed and banded with my patient bracelets and I had a few forms to sign off on. Then she came in to get my IV started. Let me first say if you're in training or you're new, people can tell. There is no need to tell a woman who is in labor that you're new. Well, she starts by saying she's new and then attempts to find a vein to put the IV in.. I have a couple of really good veins and then I have a couple that are ok but not great-- she tried to put it in a vein that I couldn't even see unless I looked really close.. and then she moved the needle around all over the place. She ended up getting one of the veterans and the veteran got it in and set in 2 minutes. She even laughed at how easy my vein was to find. Then the new nurse checked to see if I was anymore dilated and "couldn't find my cervix" ---uh WTF??? so the veteran nurse came back in and checked me, with no problem and even said she felt hair!

Anyway.. I was just not happy with that nurse. They started me on pitocin right after I got the IV (this was at 1pm) to get my contractions started and to get me more dilated. I was contracting a lot but not in a whole lot of pain. My mom, Kelsey and Jason all came and just sat there with me and tried to keep from being bored.. it didnt work too well.. Anyway, so at 6pm my doctor came over and was going to put the internal monitors in me so they could monitor his heartbeat and my contractions much better and more accurately. She went to put it in and discovered that I had a "forebag" which is just an extra bag of water that had not broke yet. Apparently it was acting as a cushion keeping me from feeling many contractions.. once she did and got the monitors on I not only increased my dilation but I felt every bit of it. I got the epidural and then I was much better!!! :) At this point I went magically from a 4.5 or maybe a 5 cm dilated to an 8 in just under an hour!

Then it was all a matter of just getting a little more dilated and getting him to come down lower and then by 1:30am they were kicking everyone out and setting up things for delivery. I started pushing at 2:10ish and at 2:44am little Oliver Jackson Massey was born! I was so lucky to have such a great nurse and doctor that got me to move and push a certain way (different ways and times) so that I wouldn't tear. Of course I'm still really sore but I'm not torn and no stitches or anything so woohoo!! :) I'm just taking super strength Motrin for the swelling and then I'm going to have to the doctor to get checked up tomorrow, Tuesday.

So I started this post at the hospital Sunday morning while they were checking his vitals and doing his circumcision and it is now Monday morning and I'm finally finishing up while eating some oatmeal and Oliver is sleeping like a rock. So far he is by far the easiest baby. He's really calm unless he's hungry or needs his diaper changed and he's sleeping on a pretty regular 3 hour schedule. Yesterday was rough because of the circumcision and then my lack of sleep but I got in a shower, nap and some dinner and it was a little better. Luckily my husband was there to reassure me that he's going to love me no matter what I feed him and that I don't have to be super woman to be his mommy-- definitely what I needed to hear at that point. ***brownie points to Jeff!***

I have only been home 18-20 hours and I'm already planning on trying to do something today to get out of the house because I'm getting stir crazy. I don't know how people can have their entire family in the house and stay there for the first 2 months.. definitely not for me! I need to run to the bank (that will let my mom show him off too, I'm sure she will be ecstatic!!!) and possibly back to Target since the bottles I bought for Oliver aren't going to work. I guess it all depends on how much energy I have in a little bit. OK! Time for Mommy to try to nap a little more while Oliver is snoozin! Goodnight (Yes, I know its already almost 8am!)

I just realized I forgot to post pictures.. MY BAD!!!
Daddy getting to see Oliver via Skype just after he was born and cleaned up. Jeff's face gets me everytime

Little guy in his car seat about to head home from the hospital. He was too tall for the newborn setting on the car seat so we had to put it on the tightest 6 month setting!

Sleepy little boy cuddling with Mommy-- all snuggly in his thermal shirt and sweat pants

My enormous foot. I didn't swell too much until the very last bit of the pregnancy but my normally very thin ankles, feet and toes turned into one big "cankle" The right side isn't as bad but it's not cute either.

No comments:

Post a Comment